Friday, September 30, 2011

A mysterious and lovely inscription...

As a voracious reader, I order used books off Amazon.com (as I would be broke if I bought every book I read new!) and sometimes open the first page to discover that the original purchaser of the book has written a few words for whomever the book was originally purchased. Often, the dedication is nothing more than a "Happy birthday, Sue!", or "I thought this would come in handy on your travels, Joe", but every so rarely, a much more delightful note awaits me.

Today, I opened a copy of "The Art of Eating" by M.F.K. Fisher to find the below inscription. Gracious, loving, and poetic, it has made me smile ever since the moment I read it. I have now spent more time than I should imagining the situation for which it was given, the giver's joy in presenting it, and the recipient's joy upon reading such a special and heartfelt note, and the giver and recipient themselves. I'm guessing they are British, based on the spelling of many of the words, but the rest remains very much a happy mystery...


S -
It's funny to be inscribing a book on my own birthday! What a perfect birthday gift, though! The gift that is given on one's birthday...


I thought this would be the perfect way to thank you for your unmatchable introduction; a book full of words and farmhouse soups; soups of words; love of soups; love-soup, etc.; (see esp p. 353).


I can picture you being like M.F.K. Fisher; travelling; savouring the flavours of every place and person; serving forth in return the most delicious prose of roundabout flavour, full, always, of chewy metaphors and allusive walnuts -- and a crisply-baked introduction (or any flattery at all -- I have a sweet tooth, as you know!) -- I will repay you with poems sung in your honor, or repeated, nervously, in dark-carpeted rooms among mismatched chairs and perhaps a stollen or two --


In love and stew,
/me, /you -- M

P.S. - On the next page, there is also a note in the same hand,
Most recommended recipe? 
Tomato Soup Cake, p 314
I may just have to try that recipe myself one of these days, in hopes that it will be a small joy itself!

*Have you ever some across a wonderful note in a pre-loved book? I would love to hear similar stories of this small joy!*

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely idea for a blog, and your writing is delightful. I'll look forward to following you.

    ReplyDelete