Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Exercising my rights (at least there's one part of me that's in shape)!


Today, I went to my local polling place to cast my ballot on an issue quite close to my heart - and my liver.

Now, I love voting. I love the excitement leading up to any kind of election. I love the feeling of power I have knowing that while I only have one vote, it does matter. As dorky as it sounds, I love getting a bit dressed up (at least, wearing a dress and not my usual weekday uniform of jeans and flip-flops) to hit the polls. I even love standing in line to vote, as it gives me the chance to people watch and speculate how the others around me will vote on the issues on the ballot.

But I especially love discovering that my "yes" vote helped prevent me from ever again spending 20 minutes choosing wine in Trader Joe's before discovering that it's Sunday and I can't actually purchase said wine. So today's small joy was seeing that every city in metro Atlanta (with 1 exception) had passed the "Sunday liquor sales" bill, thus preventing me and my fellow Atlantans from ever again experiencing the disappointment of not buying $3 shiraz on the day of rest. A small victory, but one that will no doubt bring me happiness for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment